Friday, November 25, 2011

Pain Management

When I ran cross country in university there were two levels of pain, the stuff you could run through and the stuff where you were lying on the ground screaming and grabbing a body part.  Now thirty years later, and in my 50s there are many more layers to the pain story.  I guess this latest injury is teaching me that I need to listen and back off when things start to feel not right.

I thought my foot was doing really well until last night when my daughter cut in front of me and I inadvertently stepped on her heel.  Just suddenly bending the foot in that fashion sent a jolt of pain up my spinal column. I realized that it is doing better but is still an issue.

What I need is a control panel like the one on my treadmill so I can dial it back and put a limit on what I do.

Control

Now for today’s workout.  I decided to do a workout without a real plan in mind today.  Partly because I was concerned about the foot twist yesterday and partly because I wanted to stress it a little more than yesterday.  What I liked best about it is that I managed to squeeze in 2 jogging intervals, 5 minutes at 10 min miles, 4 min @ 9 + 2 min @ 8:20 min miles. Even though I was tempted to do more I listened to my foot and backed off.  There was a little pulling but overall a good story.  45 minutes, 3.6 miles a good day

Plod On

No comments: