Sunday, November 20, 2011

Time for new shoes

I hate having to get new shoes. As a runner there is always a feeling of uncertainty as I try to pick and break-in a new pair of shoes and figure out if they will work for my narrow feet. 

I usually have three pairs of shoes on the go, my favourite go to outside shoe, an alternate outside shoe (soon to be the fav) and a treadmill shoe.  The poor treadmill shoe is usually a shoe that I did not feel that comfortable in outside or one picked specifically for the task.

I think it might be time to retire my treadmill shoes. I wrote about them when I bought them as an outside shoe here. 

newshoes

I found them to be too noisy when I ran and felt like my feet were slapping the ground.  The only reason that I bought them is that my usual shoe (asics cumulous) did not feel right on my foot in the store.  I put a lot of miles on them outside and then moved them to the treadmill where I logged several hundred miles on them and they were great.  They now look like this.

Oldshoes1

You can see that the tread on the ball of the foot is gone and the black next layer is showing through.  Where the toes bend the fabric is starting to tear.

Oldshoes2

Usually the tearing is more pronounced on the outside shoe (see above).  I wonder if this is a stride difference from the tread mill. More tread wear less upper wear?

So with great trepidation I must start to search for a new pair of shoes.

Today’s walk was great, I planned on doing 25 minutes but ended up going longer, and when ‘hey soul sister’ by train came on I upped the walking pace to a just about run (over 5 mph / 12 min mile). It all felt good but I am fairly tender after the workout. It is ice and Ibuprofen time.  Good workout 2.2 miles 30 minutes first time I have done any consecutive days in 3 months.  I hope it keeps up.

Plod On.

No comments: