Thursday, November 17, 2011

The long road back

I guess it is time to get back at the blogging thing. I sort of got out of the habit when I had to slow down on the running after slicing the end off my thumb in a Kitchen (that’s right KITCHEN) accident.  The combination of pain killers and antibiotics played havoc with my system for a few weeks and effectively killed my project 365 thing.

In July we had a great vacation in the Okanogan area and I started back running everyday. I did some great runs along the lakes and rivers out there while maintaining a decent weekly mileage. 

I continued running until September 4 when I was on a long run with the group from the running room.  About 2 km into the run I stepped on a large rock right under the arch of my foot.  I remember uttering a few expletives and then continuing the run.  I was running down a slight incline with 0.5 km of my 19 km run in when something snapped and I had to stop. I hobbled back to the car and knew things were not right.  It turns out I either damaged a ligament in between the small bones of the feet or have a stress fracture.  It does not really matter cause the treatment is the same NO running.

Since then I have been cycling and swimming and couch potato-ing while my system recovers.  None of those activities are particularly satisfying. 

This week I got the green light to start light treadmill workouts to test the injury without doing more damage.  So every second day I have been doing 25 minutes on the treadmill at a fast walk (4.5 mph 13.5 min miles) and so far so good. I can feel it a little at the start of the workout but no serious symptoms.  Fingers crossed - I will be able to start light running next week.

Finally I will have something to report on this medium again.

Plod On.

No comments: