Thursday, July 4, 2013

Terminal Thursday

Runner’s World Summer Streak - Day 38

Time : 36:39 Minutes
Distance : 4.25 Miles 
This Week: 12.80 Miles

Total: 161.67 Miles

Woo Hoo the running streaks are done! Do I feel a rest day and a more reasonable running schedule coming on? I guess this years independence day is my independence from daily running. I have run every day since April 1 with the exception of a few days when my SI joint was sore. And for all this I earned a ..RWRUNSTREAKBADGE

virtual Finishers medal.

I managed to squeeze my run in between two thunderstorms. The route I chose was upstream along the river through some more of the flood area.

Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 10.13.28 PM

It is a fairly flat out and back route that parallels the river.  The start had a really pretty view of the clouds lit by the setting sun.

July4-1

This view was also being enjoyed by a flock of Canada Geese and goslings that were on shore for their evening meal.

July4-2

On the run back they had settled on the path and I had to weave my way through a group of hissing protective mother geese to get back to the car. They must like the warmth of the paved path in the cooler evening.

At the turn around point of the run there was some significant flood damage to the technically closed pathway.

July4-3

You can see where flood debris had accumulated on the railing and the 2” pipe rails were bent right over. You can also see a gap between the path and the concrete on the left where the entire pathway has shifted six inches.  Mother nature is amazing.

The run itself was fairly fast if you deduct the time that I stopped to take pictures.  It is a gentle uphill for the first half of the run and a equally gentle downhill on the way back. I was pretty happy with the splits 5:30 ish on the way out and just under 5:00 on the way back.

I was focusing on my stride in the run and trying to move my strike back to a heel or closer to midfoot strike.  I have been running with a forefoot strike for the last little while and have been experiencing some tenderness in the metatarsal on thebig toe of my right foot. I’m hoping that shifting the strike back will take some stress off the bone.

For Day 6 of “le tour challenge” I cycled 9.1 Miles in 41:54 minutes at lunch time. The route ran west from my house up the big hill and past the French School before heading south on 85th before turning east and heading down the hill home.  I discovered the two fastest gears that I rarely used are harder and much faster. Guess I will be using them more often.

Another active day, and it felt good.

Plod On.

No comments: