Monday, December 5, 2011

Running with celebrities

I used to run with friends, I used to run alone, now I run with Celebrities, Singing in my iPhone.

iPhone

Running with music has always posed a quandary for me.  Coming from a Nordic Skiing background, moving to Cross Country and having completed most of my runs outdoors on trails whenever possible, I feel it is very important to hear what is going on around you.  I listen for traffic, I listen to the sound of my buddy or foe breathing. For me, music provides a distraction and I spend less time thinking about where, when and how I am going to run than I should. 

Having said that you would think I am against running with music.  The truth is I bought my first walkman in the very early 80’s just to have music on workouts.  One of my best running memories is running leg 13 of the Banff Jasper Relay with my buddy ‘Bruce’ pounding out Thunder Road on that walkman and providing the inspiration to conquer the challenging hills.  Music helps to ignore what your body is saying and go a little bit harder and a little faster than you would without it.

These days music is providing the distraction that I need to keep motivated to get on and keep moving on the treadmill, where you do not have to think about the course or listen for Cars. 

Good Run this morning, first time running from start to finish, no walking not even in the warm up.  Sweet! It feels like a milestone.  Did a little progression, (10:00 – 9:00 –8:30 min mile pace) with 5 minutes at each.  Add on a warm up and a cool down and you have 20 minutes of continuous running for 2.15 miles.  Not Bad for a Monday.

Plod On.

No comments: