Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Trekking Tuesday

Streak to the beach - Day 86

Time : 31:49 Minutes
Distance : 3.75 Miles 
This Week: 7.25 Miles

Total: 284.65 Miles

Runner’s World Summer Streak - Day 30

Week 5: 7.25 Miles  
Total: 125.4 Miles

Will things ever settle down weather wise? Today was beautiful and sunny in the morning, cloudy in the afternoon and the evening was punctuated with heavy downpours and thunderstorms.

When I ran this was the view of downtown, bright and highlighted by the late afternoon sun.

June25-2

Less than an hour after I finished we were hit with a massive thunderstorm.  When I look outside now (several hours later) I can still see lightening flashes to the east.

Planning routes has been difficult since the flooding, some routes are closed, some routes by the river are not safe  and some are just not accessible.

Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 8.56.00 PM

The route I chose is a variation of my common routes. I ran from my doorstep around the neighbourhood and home.  It either starts or finishes with (depending on if Irun counter clockwise or clockwise) a trail run. Tonight it started with the trail run.

June25-1

It is fairly dense for a few hundred meters the opens up under the power lines. No matter what direction you run it has gradual uphills for about a third of the run at the beginning and then has a fast downhill finish. Always a good way to end the run.

Tonight’s effort was tough, I had a slow first mile when I stopped to take pictures, then ran the uphill fairly fast and smoked the downhill section with 2 miles at under 8 minute miles. Not fast for a younger version of me but fast for the aging me.

The only complaint that I had was that my right calf was aching on the uphill section and then for the remainder of the run. Kind of an fatigued tightness in between the soleus and the gastrocnemius. I had the same feeling during last nights run after the big hill.

A dry run on a wet day.

Plod On.

No comments: