Sunday, April 14, 2013

Slippery Saturday.

Streak to the beach - Day 13

Time : 27:30 Minutes
Distance : 3.1 Miles 
This Week: 17.15 Miles

Total: 37.48

New shoes! This does not happen very often, I’m a little retentive when it comes to shoes. I wear them until they wear out and are torn and then a little bit. Changing shoes scares me, will they fit will they hurt my feet, there is just too much uncertainty. Anyway the bottom line is that my old shoes were worn out and I left them at home so if I was going to run, I needed to buy new shoes.  This is what I got.

IMG_1135

Sexy huh?

The day started when the dog woke me at 5:30 to address her urgent need.  We headed for the hotel elevator and out for an early morning Edmonton tour, then back to the hotel room where everyone else was still sleeping.

IMG_1120

She looks relaxed doesn't she? That is the new shoe strapped on my foot. I broke one of my cardinal rules about only wearing my running shoes for running to break them in a bit before I woke my 13 year old son and we headed to the fitness center to run.

The run was kinda cool, started slow and then when I was sure that the shoes were ok settled in to a 9 minute pace, then finished closer to 8.  The run felt good, the shoes felt good and it was cool to run with my son on the treadmill next to me.

The rest of the day was tough. We made it to the cheer competition, saw my daughter’s team compete, then rushed to check out and head for Red Deer for my son to compete in the provincial fencing championship.  It was tough drive through snow, slippery roads and blowing snow for 90 Miles. We passed several cars that had slipped into the ditch.  Then we found  the fencing competition and spent the next  3 hours spectating a sport I know little about.  The toughest part was the drive through a blizzard for the remaining 90 miles to get home.  Again passing numerous vehicles either in the  ditch or backwards on the highway.  There was zero visibility and it was a very tough drive and it was very good to be home. 

A very hard day for Dad.

Plod On.

No comments: